A few days ago, I went down memory lane to the time I wrote a letter to my son– I was just 22 years old at that time and yes 22 feels like “just 22” right now!!!
Today, I feel like doing the same thing, but this time, I’m writing to my 22-year-old self, the young woman that I was, and hopefully to one young girl out there, who is at this place of becoming.
Here goes some gold coins I have picked between 22 and today. At 100 I may just retire into gold trading!!!
- Darling, 22 sounds just perfect- double of the number double! More than that, you have earned the title lady- you have officially gone past the period of transitioning from a child into a young adult and this time, this moment would be one of the most memorable places you would ever be; remember to live it. Remember to live
- Breathe- Slow down. Don’t be in such a hurry to tick the boxes predefined for you. Life is so much more than boxes and ticks. Discover the stars, the sparks and the truth
- Find yourself in-between all the versions of you that you and the world have created for you and live only through your own eyes- That my dear is true beauty. I can tell that now
- Failure is not such a horrible thing as those teachers made it seem. If you have the right perspective you would find out life actually tastes slightly sweeter when you get it right the second, third or fourth time. #Eureka
- Some of the things you think would kill you actually prepare you for d rest of your journey. Pain may come ~ Brace yourself
- If you have a mother, think of her like fine old wine. It doesn’t get any cheaper buying such wealth of knowledge as buying hers. I would tell you why; mothers are mothers, they love unconditionally, their intentions for you are often from a good place, they would stand with you through thick and thin and in the end when no one else can, they would come cook you okro just because you are ill. Don’t let stupid things steal your moments; Love her
- Your “whys” are probably more important than your decisions in themselves because life would test those decisions and your “whys” would either keep you afloat or drown you. Before you decide, choose a “why” you would proudly stand by even if your decision seemingly fails
- Well except you are like me and would sometimes throw your whys out the window, hop on the next available bus without reason and hope it takes you to your where!!!! That often is fun… fun until you face the consequences… but honestly fun all the same
- We are often told to focus on the important things- an education, a career and choosing partners. These are all great pointers because they really do define the course of our lives but it is great to look out for the little things too; kindness and putting others first, developing values that enable you solve problems, being a respected member of your community, picking up interests outside of your 8 to 5, truly and intentionally living a full life. Truly and intentionally living.
- Find God. Find Purpose. It changes everything
- When you become older remember to drop a few gold coins too- your life is so much more than just you
- Live purposefully. Love unequivocally
From my heart,
Photo Credit: The Amazing Photographer John Barclay