This Monday started well… Woke up with joy… so much joy I practically sang and did the “my head, my shoulder, my knees, my toes” routine! It was my lame excuse for an exercise!!! Anyway some minutes to 6 Oh’Clock I was out the door armed with my multipurpose bag and a bottle of pineapple and banana smoothie (Mo raye gaaaaan). I touched the shuffle button on my music player and today, my day started with Audience of One by Mercy me…. I smiled once it came on- not because it is my favorite song but because after having the song in my library for years now, I only realized sometime last week that the chorus sang “to my audience of one” even though it should have been obvious since that was the title… I had always mumbled something I am too ashamed to admit!
Soooooo… Audience of one… a big smile… and a little dance walking. I got to my busstop at 6 Oh’ 4 just in time! Whilst I waited, Someone buzzed me- It was one of my favoritest people on the surface of the earth. I’m sure he would never have thought I would reply (I’m bad with all kinds of chat platforms- I’m improving though- for all those who I have a bad reputation with- try me on Monday mornings!!!). So this very special somebody who I call Son- I had him in my third year in school- he was in his first year and our bond has remained even though I am a bad mother sometimes. We talked God, love, career, academics, fun and fulfillment… he reminded me of myself some years ago- so many questions within, so much energy, so much passion, a desire for a well-rounded life- above all he reminded me of the time I began to truly recognize the person within me. So this post is for those at that phase in life- it’s a list of some of the things I found as true as I journeyed- Truth is I feel ill qualified to advise anyone- I have failed too many times but I definitely feel absolutely free to share the truths I have found along the way, that have shaped who I am becoming and that serve as the center for many things I do today- So here we go…..
- Those church people, the ones that seemed weird and crazy to believe in salvation through the death of a guy- they were right. My life took a new turn the day I joined crazy- and No it was not any of the days I thought I had the truth, it was not the time I attempted to read a brown leather book cover to cover, it was the time I really understood it. It was the time I let go of myself.
- There are a few books I never would have read- A few songs I never would have listened to- A few people I should have walked away from early enough… It took years to get that toxic out… years I had no luxury of… but years worth the process of detoxification. #Say NO to Toxic#
- Failure is not so bad after all…. As a matter of my fact, the more failures I had, the bolder I became… Really what’s the worst that would have happened? Another F? *Next Please*
- Family and those few friends- they are heavy! I wish I had not wasted some years…. But grateful for the opportunity to make many wrongs right
- A school certificate is over rated! I discovered that recently- Can you solve problems? “Yes- then you are certified” Problem is you would either need to prove that to people who think a certificate is a stamp or you need to stand on your own- choose your poison. But above all be a problem solver.
- My room is kinda connected to my spirit! Seriously! It’s state often determines how I feel all day… I had remember “kobetting” to fold my clothes once I bring them from the line, to put my bag in its place and my books on the shelf and not on the bed or pay N500 per day to my siblings! It worked like magic!!!! Looooooool (I can see my siblings talking with their eyes). Anyway now you know why I woke up with Joy!
- Feelings like anger, hurt… slapping the hell out of someone. Never pretend to be too strong for them… those things eat you up like acid… and unfortunately sometimes they hold you bound for so long you do not even know the root of your chains. Let them go before the sun goes down, admit what you feel… slap yourself if you know you cannot fight… breathe… go for a walk… and scream down anyone that says you should calm down!!! Hehehe say sorry later sha… better still just walk away and pray for peace.
- Give everything your best. Don’t do it for your boss, your spouse, your friends… do it for the joy and fulfillment you would feel when you cross your legs in front of your TV.
- Love without restrictions, Live to the fullest… Let the child inside you run wild… Hold firm to wisdom
- Again, find God. Nothing else can fill you. Nothing else
A beautiful Monday to you……………………
Photo Credit: http://bubbewisdom.com/2011/12/26/joy-to-the-world/